Designing Search Strategies
- Select keywords from your research topic
- Find synonyms or related terms for each of the keyword you identified above
- Use Boolean operators (AND, OR) to connect your keyword; Combine concepts using AND, and combine alternate terms within a concept using OR
- Select search tools (library catalogue, databases, etc.)
- Conduct your search
- Review your search results and revise your search if necessary
You can use the Search Strategy Worksheet below to help you develop your search strategies.
Finding information sources for ECE9608/SE4450 assignments
Finding background information
If you are new to your topic or would like to start by reading some more general background information, here are some good places to start:
Shared Library Catalogue
Use the Shared Library Catalogue with Western Libraries and the Affiliated University College Libraries to find books (print and online) on your topic.
CRCnetBASE offers instant access to the world's premier scientific, technical and medical references with added support for libraries.
Finding trade publication articles
Finding scholarly journal articles
Use Ulrich's Periodicals Directory to find out if journal is peer-reviewed