Here are some resources to help you find historic news articles, published prior to 1985. Many of the listed resources contain Canadian news; however, those that focus on Canadian content are marked with the Canadian flag.
19th Century U.S. Newspapers
This full-text searchable digital image collection includes 500 U.S. newspapers from across the nation.
Globe and Mail: Canada's Heritage from 1844
This database is the full-text archive of Canada's Globe and Mail.
Winnipeg Free Press Archive
This database is the full-text archive of the Winnipeg Free Press with access to articles published between 1874 and 2017.
ProQuest Historical U.S. Newspapers
This database offers full-text and full-image articles for 10 U.S. newspapers dating back to the 18th century:
- Atlanta Constitution, 1868 to 1945
- Boston Globe, 1872 to 1983
- Chicago Defender, 1909 to 1975
- Chicago Tribune, 1849 to 1992
- Christian Science Monitor, 1908 to 2002
- Hartford Courant, 1764 to 1990
- Los Angeles Times, 1881 to 1992
- New York Times, 1851 to 2012
- Wall Street Journal, 1889 to 1998
- Washington Post, 1877 to 1999
Times Digital Archive, 1785-1985
This newspaper archive is available from 1785-1985. The complete newspaper is available.
Paper of Record
includes selective historical content dating from 1752 to 2004 for the United Kingdom, the United States, Australlia, the Bahamas, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Ecuador, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Spain, and Mexico.