Designing Search Strategies
- Select keywords from your research topic
- Find synonyms or related terms for each of the keyword you identified above
- Use Boolean operators (AND, OR) to connect your keyword; Combine concepts using AND, and combine alternate terms within a concept using OR
- Select search tools (library catalogue, databases, etc.)
- Conduct your search
- Review your search results and revise your search if necessary
You can use the Search Strategy Worksheet below to help you develop your search strategies.
Finding information for your CEE4441 project
Access the full text of articles
- Click at the Get it @ Western button to try to get fulltext online. If Get it @ Western doesn't get you fulltext, search the library catalogue's holdings by Journal Title.
- If the journal issue or conference proceeding isn't in the library catalogue, search for it on the web. You may be able to get it for free.
- If all else fails, order the article through InterLibrary Loan (RACER) (free for most items for Western users).
Finding Maps and Geospatial Information
Finding News Articles and Industry Info