Current Western students, staff and faculty have access to quality, professional productions via the licensed resources below. These resources include movies, documentaries and more.
Alexander Street Press
...is a multidisciplinary collection of streaming videos for scholarly research, teaching and learning. You can make clips and create a playlist. Western Libraries access to Alexander Street Press is provided in collaboration with King's University College Library.
...is the exclusive Canadian rights representative for : Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Pixar Animation Studios, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Columbia Pictures, Tristar Pictures, Screen Gems, Universal Studios Canada (MCA), MGM Studios, United Artists.
Criterion on Demand
...is an online digital delivery feature film platform that provides easy access to educationally relevant feature films used in Canadian higher education institutions. Includes more than 1,600 English-language titles, 1,300 French-language titles, and 135 world language films with English sub-titles. Also includes more than 100 documentary features.
...provides access to the educational content from CBC and Radio-Canada. Documentaries from television and radio, news reports, archival material etc. are available in both English and French. Curio.ca is developed expressly for the Canadian educational community, including school boards, government ministries, universities, colleges, cégeps, and public libraries.
Digital Theatre Plus
... provides online access to a digital streaming video collection of unique films of current, leading British theatre productions.
...includes full texts of plays from across the history of the theatre, ranging from Aeschylus to the present day. Includes non-English-language works in translation, scholarly and critical editions, first night program texts, and critical analysis and contextual information.
...provides mediated demand streaming of feature films and award-winning documentaries from around the world covering a wide variety of topics. Featured producers include Criterion Collection, PBS, HBO, Kino Lorber, First Run Features, BBC and many more. Streaming availability is limited due to budget constraints. Access is provided in collaboration with King's University College Library.
National Film Board
NFB provides Western Libraries with access to over 3,600 Canadian documentaries, films, animations and clips. Course instructors may want to create a CAMPUS profile to enable additional features.
TVO : documentaries
...is a streaming platform delivering ground-breaking and Canadian-made documentary films that enable the exploration of social, political, and current affairs through a diverse range of story-telling perspectives. Open Access.
Streaming Video for Music
The following resources include streaming video of operas, concerts and dance performances. See the generic streaming video resources for musicals and documentaries.
Medici.tv specializes in high definition video of classical music.... Over 1,400 programs--concerts, operas, ballets, documentaries, master-classes, educational films and artist profiles--may be streamed anytime. Over 100 concerts are broadcast live each year, in collaboration with prestigious performers, concert halls and festivals.
Met Opera on demand. Student access
More than 450 Met performances. Dozens of Live in HD productions, classic telecasts from the 1970s, '80s, '90s, and '00s, and hundreds of radio broadcasts dating back to 1936. Access restricted to registered students, staff and faculty: authentication required for use from off-campus locations.
Berliner Philharmoniker Digital Concert Hall
This resource includes a number of concert performances of operas as well as other semi-staged vocal performances.
To search for video recordings (e.g., DVD, Blu-ray, VHS), use the Advanced Search in the library catalogue.
Do one of the following:
- Include the following keywords: videorecording OR video*
- Set Resource Type to: Video/Film (Note: some of the search results may be online.)
Include one or more of the following:
- Unique or distinctive word(s) from the title or subject
- Director's, writer's or (in the case of musical performances) composer's surname, if applicable
- Actor's or performer's name (e.g., Bernstein), if applicable
Note re. Music Library video recordings
- Call numbers for all VHS tapes in the Music Library begin with the prefix MVD.
- Call numbers for all DVDs in the Music Library begin with the prefix MDVD.
- You may browse these using the Call Number field in the Advanced Search in the library catalogue.
Note to course instructors:
- Physical items can be booked and held at the D.B. Weldon Library or King's University College Library to ensure that they are available for your class date and time.
- Search the Media Catalogue to find and borrow (free of charge) videos owned by other Ontario Universities. Western Libraries is a member of the Interfilm Group, an informal association of 20 Ontario universities with film and video collections.
- Recommend a purchase of a film of interest that is not currently in Western Libraries' collection.